Last updated May 24, 2018
This privacy notice tells you how we, DSC International School, will collect and use your personal data to allows DSC International School staff members to provide educational services to your our your children or wards.
Contact details of Data Protection Officer
|Contact Name||Dr. Jason Walter|
DSC International School
All data subjects whose personal data is collected by DSC International School.
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as: “any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving us permission to process your personal data specifically for the purposes identified. Where consent is required for DSC International School to process both standard and sensitive types of personal data, but it must be explicitly given. Where we are asking you for sensitive personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used. Agreement with this Privacy Notice and its accompanying Terms and Conditions (as applicable) (and any Data Processing Agreements, if they apply to you) will be considered to be explicit consent and we will keep a copy of the records of that consent for audit purposes.
You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting the school.
The school has varying retention periods for different types of data. These retention periods are based on guidelines established by the School to ensure educational services can be provided. Retention periods for student data is outlined in the Parent and Student Handbooks.
Why does DSC International School need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you with educational services and communications, DSC International School needs to collect personal data. Delia School of Canada highly values personal privacy data principles and respects the principles found in Hong Kong's Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Chapter 496), Canadian data privacy laws for schools, and the European Union (EU) – General Data Protection Regulation.
Will DSC International School share your personal data with anyone else?
DSC International School may share your personal data with third party vendors companies with your permission. When this occurs, for example for Experiential Learning Week Trips, families will be notified of what is shared and why. Personal Data will not be shared without the consent of the data subject.
Access to Data Held and Correction of Data
All requests for access to data or correction of data held by the School must be made in writing and submitted with a completed “Data Access Request Form” to the Director of Information Technology. Director of Information Technology will coordinate with the other departments in order to fulfill the data access request. Upon submission of a Data Access Request Form, you will be given a copy of the requested data. If you object to the accuracy, relevance, or completeness of the information appearing you may submit a request for correction of personal data to the Principal.
Rights of the Data Subject
All DSC employees, pupils and their guardians, and job applicants have a right to:
- ascertain whether the School holds personal data of which he/she is the data subject;
- obtain a copy of the personal data relating to him/her held by the School;
- require the data user (School) to correct any data relating to him/her which is inaccurate;
- obtain the School’s data protection policies and practices in relation to data
- be informed of the kind of personal data held by the School;
- be asked for consent before his/her personal data is used for a purpose other than the purposes for which it was collected or directly related purposes;
- right to be forgotten;
- right to restrict processing;
- right of portability;
- right to object;
- right to object to automatic processing, including profiling for marketing; and
- be asked for consent before the information is transferred to a third party.
Request for Access to or Correction of Personal Data
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for monitoring and supervising compliance with the Ordinance in regards to files maintained at DSC International School.
The following items maintained by the individuals, or their designate, to ensure compliance with the Ordinance:
- a Data Protection Log Book, as provided for in Section 27 of the Ordinance;
- a copy of the School’s Personal Data (Privacy) Policy;
- a copy of the School’s IT Policies;
- a copy of the OSR Guide for Ontario;
- a copy of the Nova Scotia data management policies
- Data Access Request Form for subject access/correction requests of personal data held by the School.
Operational Procedures (Data Access)
A data subject must submit a completed ‘Data Access Request Form’ to the Director of Information Technology. The request will be dated and handled within 40 days of receiving the request.
The School will reject any data access/correction request if:
- the data subject cannot provide sufficient information to locate the data being requested;
- the data sought comprise personal data of another individual, unless the other individual has consented to the disclosure of the data;
- the data access request is not made in a form which has been specified by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data under Section 67 of the Ordinance if such a form has been given to the data subject;
- the request involves data relating to staff planning;
- the request involves a personal reference or data generated by certain evaluative processes (including a recruitment/promotion/transfer/removal exercise) prior to a decision being made; and/or (Relevant Process Exception)
- the request follows two or more requests that are similarly made by the data subject or an authorized person on his/her behalf.
If a data/access correction request is to be rejected, the person responsible for the data will give reasons in writing to the person making the request within 40 days of receiving the written request. The ordinance provides 11 situations where personal data are exempt from the data protection principles and other provisions of the Ordinance.
Objectives - DSC International School has created this security and privacy statement in order to document and communicate its commitment to doing business with the highest ethical standards and appropriate internal controls.
Explicit Information Gathering - You can examine our entire website without providing any information whatsoever.
Precautions For Children - DSC International School does not attempt to collect personal information from children. If a child sends personal information to us, and this information can be identified as originating from a child, the information will be deleted. We cannot always determine which information originates with a user that is a child. We do not maintain a database on web activity.
Links to Other Sites - This site contains a number of links to other sites. DSC International School is not responsible for the security or privacy practices of these sites, the products or services offered by these sites, or the content appearing at these sites. DSC International School does not endorse any of the products or services marketed at these other sites.
Contacting Us - With respect to this website, there are two options regarding your personal information. If you wish to contact us about our School, then you need to disclose your contact information so that we can service your request, or if you do not wish to contact us about our School, we will have gathered no information about you, and you do not need to take further action. If you have elected to pursue the first of these options, after you have obtained the information you sought, you may at any time tell us to remove your name and other contact information we may have in our records.
If you have any questions about this security and privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with our company, you can contact the school.